"If you wish to know the mind of a man, listen to his words." ~Chinese Proverb

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Final Meet.

Track season ended on Monday.

What a fantastic experience.

The Princess learned things in this experience she could not have learned otherwise.

She experienced so many "normal" teenage situations.  

I sort of roll my eyes at the term "normal" because I would love to fight the cultural view of normal.

I would love for "normal" to be whatever is good, and helpful, and positive. 

Yet, I'm still a mom.

And at times a ferocious fighter of a mom.

So, while I'm trying - one moment at a time - to change how people view "normal", I'm also helping the Princess to experience "normal".

Dual realities.  Every day.

I watched a beautiful reality happen during track season.  Kids.  They can be good.  Sure, lots of kids are punks.  So are mine, some days.  But, if we get out of the way, kids can be really good to each other.

Every day I watch adults be puzzled by my Princess.  In public situations, the Princess can get some pretty unique glances/looks/and down-right stares from all kinds of adults.  Kids, not so much.  Kids may watch, but they move on quickly.  Unless...and this is BIG...unless they notice adults reacting strongly.  Then kids suddenly become much more aware.

Whether we like it or not, we influence kids strongly.  Our reactions trigger them to focus in or walk away.  We carry a big responsibility.  

This track season, kids were really supportive of the Princess.  She marches to her own beat.  But she loves to have interaction with people.  She glows when people just let her be who she is.  When kids call out, "great job!" or take a minute to check out her latest bug -- she is at peace.  I watched kids constantly step up, over and over, to this role.  

In true Princess style, this last meet couldn't come and go without some moments of hilarity.

It was a very cold day for a Track meet.  When I arrived, my parents were already there.  This is how I found my father...
That's a sandwich baggie box in his hand.  

????

The Princess was getting ready to long jump.

And I guess it's hard to hold this...

So it makes sense that Papa would be standing, holding it for her.

And possibly my favorite moment of ALL TIME.

Did I mention it was cold?

My girl morphed into ET.

And sat this way for a very long time.

My dad says she can really get the most out of a sweatshirt.

Truer words have not been spoken, my friends.


And this, makes my heart melt.  Coach.  Priceless.

No comments: