"If you wish to know the mind of a man, listen to his words." ~Chinese Proverb

Thursday, May 5, 2016

Oh Come On Now

Yesterday my little Knight asked to go for a bike ride.  He has been practicing in front of our house - still with training wheels and a little teeny tiny red bike.  His speed increased from adult walking speed to "adult tearing after him down a busy road in regular clothes, converse and a non-supportive-for-running bra" speed in one walk.  It was beyond fun!

We stopped mid-ride at a park to play.  And by we, I mean he played.  I sat.  But God was smiling down on us.  There was a little boy at the park the same age as the little Knight and they become fast friends.

He had so much fun with new found park friends, I lost track of time.  When I suddenly realized how late we were...our ride home became strategic shortcuts, which required me to mostly push the teeny tiny red bike through the grass and up a ridiculous hill with the little Knight peddling his heart out.  I do not want to know how it looked, but if the smiles and knowing glances from passers by is any indication...well, we looked cool.

We arrived home at exactly 11:49a.m.  PreK starts at 12p.m. and he needed to eat lunch first!  Lunch was strawberries, cheese, and some snap peas.  I have no idea what he actually ate but I promised him Smarties if he ate lunch and got into the car as fast as he could.  It's good parenting, I think.

He made it to school a little late, but not much.

After school his eyes just got heavier and heavier.  Finally he gave up and fell sound asleep at 5pm.  Every mom knows this is not ideal.  Best case scenario: it's going to be hell on bedtime.  Worst case scenario = sick.  We got both.

At 6:15 the next morning our little Knight was on fire.  No other symptoms.  That is my red flag for strep...every single time.  But my day was already full.  So the second words out of my mouth (I won't admit the first words) were to my hubby.  He needed to stay home.

We regrouped, planned, aimed and fired.

The Princess and Prince woke up and got ready for school.  As soon as the Princess found out someone in the house was sick...she derailed.  It's standard.  We aren't sure if she's opportunistic and wants a free ride on the virus train?  Or if she gets worried?  Maybe her brand of empathy?  Whatever the reason, she gets pretty needy.

We sent her to school anyway.

The Prince went to school with instructions to be in the office at 9:45 for a 10 a.m. dentist appointment.

At 9 a.m. my phone came to life.  The Princes is at school, sick (ish) and manically texting me.  I am giving a breathing treatment to my little Knight - to cover all the bases.  I'm also looking at the time as I know it's close to time to head to the dentist with my Prince.

The following several hours were:

  • texting with the Princess to tell her to stop texting!
  • filling a seat at the dentist office as the Prince had dental x-rays, a cleaning and a tooth extraction.  Poor kid had zero control over the left side of his cheek.  I may have laughed a little.
  • communicating with my hubby as he took the little Knight to the doctor to get a positive strep screen and antibiotics. 
  • a second appointment for a doctor in a town 30 miles away for the Prince in the afternoon
  • and two pharmacy runs!  
It feels like a lot.

I may or may not have quickly fit in a 6pm CincoDeMayo celebration!  




No comments: