He sits down on any given day and lobs a topic at me like a grenade.
Today, an ordinary Saturday morning. There are waffles and sticky syrup. Cartoons on TV that constantly need to be turned down. And that easy feeling that comes from nothing on the schedule.
And he walks into the room, sits on the couch and says, "how come so many people say President Obama kills babies?"
Our conversation lasts a long time. At one point we are talking about the branches of government and I briefly consider calling my dad for reference. I worry that I am teaching this kid crazy-wrong information. I also consider that the words I use may hang in his memory for years. I want to be honest and careful.
We discuss choice and law. We talk about opinions and hatred. He asks how come people hate President Obama for believing in choice if he can't change the law all by himself anyway. I asked the Prince to explain what he meant. He said, "well it sounds like the other people in the government have to be apart of making rules and changing rules...so why do people just get mad at the president?"
Frankly, I'm impressed with his line of thinking.
At one point he asks me what I believe.
It's so much easier to talk about what other people believe.
I quoted C.S. Lewis to my 3rd grade Prince. I tried to explain that my opinion is all wrapped up in my own life and experiences. I've never been pregnant. I have never been faced with needing to make a choice.
At one point I had to say, "some of this information is just not appropriate for a 3rd grade kiddo to know." He was treading dangerously close to the idea of abuse and violence. Interestingly, he immediately said, "ok."
Our conversation continued until he felt satisfied with the details. In the end, he was ready for a snack. And I was ready for a nap.
And also a little prayer that he would immediately forget the stupid things I undoubtedly said.
Honestly. When I dreamed of babies and bringing them home to love and cuddle...I thought about tiny baby clothes and trips to the park.
I am never prepared.
No comments:
Post a Comment